Tuesday 18 July 2017

The Man In The Mirror

PROMPT: picture of a mirror

The Man In The Mirror 

I can hear him in my head, constantly whispering, coaxing me to do bad things. No! I’m a good girl I tell myself and to prove it I bake my bedridden mother a cake to have with her afternoon tea.
When I walk past my bedroom the whispers become a shout and I cast a nervous glance at the mirror wanting to make sure it was still covered. Damn! The cat must have been on the dresser again as the cover has been knocked off.
He catches my eye and I am lost, powerless to not obey, I walk to the dresser and sit down and I’m held captured by his gaze.
Instead of my reflection in the mirror, it’s him. A man very similar in looks to me, except his eyes. There is no life in his. I don’t quite know what he whispers: eye’s locked I enter a trance.
The next time I become aware I am standing over my sleeping mother with a pillow in hands, just about to smother her! I hear his cursing in my head as yet again he fails.
I am a good girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment